But sometimes, it’s great to hear about the highlights of The Colonel from someone you knows the place inside and out – that’s why we chose to have an interview with Jeff Castillo, Senior Property Manager at The Colonel!
Here are some of his thoughts on why The Colonel (and Shaw neighborhood) rocks DC:
1. What’s your favorite place to grab a bite around the Shaw neighborhood? For a quick bite, nothing beats my favorite sandwich shop, SUNdeVICH (1314 9th Street NW). If I have time in my hands I love the Panang Curry at BeauThai (1550 7th Street NW), and my coffee is always from our neighbors at La Colombe (924 Rear Street NW).
2. There are so many options for day trips around and outside Shaw – what’s your top pick? My favorite spot, and where I proposed to my amazing wife, is the Great Falls. I love that in a city like DC, I am just 30 minutes away from great hiking trails. I recommend the Billy Goat Trail to anyone wanting to get a little exercise a part of their New Year’s Resolution.
3. How’s the public transportation? Walkability? Is it easy to access top destinations from The Colonel without driving? Everything you need, from shopping to entertainment, is right in the Shaw neighborhood: restaurants, bars, coffee shops, art galleries, gyms, groceries – it’s all right there. The Colonel is two blocks away from the Convention/Mt Vernon Green and Yellow Metro station, so all of DC is right at your doorstep.
4. What’s the pet scene like at The Colonel? Any unique animals? Any favorites? We are looking forward to welcoming our furry friends. We are allowing up to 80 pounds combined weight for two pets; limits that are hard to find in a city like DC.
5. Some residents are moving from warm weather – any tips on braving DC cold?Well as a Miami, FL native, I had learn all about how easily a nice pair of shoes can be ruined during the snow season. There is a simple solution; pack your gym bag with your work shoes and wear more appropriate boots to get around the city. You will look sharp at work and you won’t have to have a memorial service for your “lost soles.”
6. What’s your personal favorite on-site amenity? Easily the roof top deck! Great views of the city and just a wonderful place to relax. I can’t wait to host our first Barbeque up there once the weather turns warmer.
7. In what ways is the Shaw neighborhood (and surrounding area) changing? The number one change I would say is the influx of great restaurants; it has become a foodie’s paradise.
8. Know of any must-attend events or festivals happening in the area? What would you recommend is worth attending? DC has a great food truck scene and there is no greater evidence of that than Truckeroo. All the top food trucks come together for one great event. (You should definitely hit up the Billy Goat Trail a few times before this event!)
Food trucks? Great shopping mere steps away? A roof top deck? If you’re not already a resident at The Colonel, what’s holding you back? If you have questions about moving in, contact us today. We’ll be happy to assist you in choosing the right floor plan for you.